- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 pcs raw eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Bake the cake
1.1 Combine flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl than whisk until everything is properly distributed
1.2 Beat the eggs using an electric mixer in a separate mixing bowl.
1.3 Add the granulated and light brown sugar then continue mixing until fully blended.
1.4 Add the vegetable oil, fresh milk, and vanilla extract then continue mixing until texture becomes smooth.
1.5 Put-in the flour-baking soda-cinnamon-baking powder-salt mixture then continue mixing using low speed.
1.6 Fold-in the carrots and walnuts
1.7 Pour the batter on a cake pan with shaped wax paper
1.8 Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the batter for 35 to 50 minutes (you know that the cake is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean)
1.9 Remove from the oven and allow to cool down.
2. Make the frosting
2.1 Beat the cream cheese using an electric mixer
2.2 Add-in the butter and vanilla extract then continue mixing until the mixture is well blended
2.3 Add the confectioners sugar then mix until texture becomes smooth
2.4 Set aside
3. Apply the frosting over the cake
3.1 Place the first cake on a flat surface and apply frosting on the top part spreading it evenly
3.2 Place the second cake on top of the first cake and align properly
3.3 Apply the remaining frosting on top and on the sides of the cake
3.4 Garnish with chopped wallnuts on top and on the sides
3.5 Refrigerate for at least an hour then serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 8
Leche Flan (also known as crème caramel and caramel custard) is a dessert made-up of eggs and milk with a soft caramel on top. This dessert is known throughout the world (especially in Europe) and has been in the dessert menu of most restaurants because of its convenience in preparation and long shelf life.
- 10 pieces raw eggs
- 1 small can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
- Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater
- Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly
- Pour-in the fresh milk and mix well
- Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire
- Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. Note: Sometimes it is hard to find a Llanera (Traditional flan mold) depending on your location. I find it more convenient to use individual Round Pans in making leche flan.
- Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold
- Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold
- Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil
- Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
- After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate
Turon or deep-fried banana rolls is a typical Filipino meryenda and dessert. This can usually be seen on the streets being peddled along with banana-que. In Makati, several jolly jeeps (stalls along the road; formerly jeepneys that serve lunch) sell Turon along with other meryenda during the afternoon. This delicious and healthy dessert is an all time Filipino favorite. Have I mentioned that Turon is so affordable and also easy-to-prepare?
- 6 pcs saba bananas (or plantains), cut in half (lenghtwise)
- 1 cup ripe Jackfruit
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 pcs spring roll wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Roll the banana on the brown sugar plate and ensure that the banana is coated with enough sugar
- Place the banana with sugar coating in the spring roll wrapper and add some ripe jackfruit
- Fold and lock the spring roll wrapper, use water to seal the edge
- In a pan, heat the oil and put-in some brown sugar.Wait until the brown sugar floats
- Put-in the wrapped banana and fry until the wrapper turns golden brown and the extra sugar sticks on wrapper
- Serve hot during dessert or meryenda. Share and Enjoy!
Maja Blanca is a Filipino dessert made from coconut milk, cornstarch, and sugar. Often called Coconut Pudding, this luscious dessert is easy to make and the ingredients are very common.Unknown to many, the original Maja Blanca Recipe does not include corn and milk. In this recipe, I added whole sweet kernel corn and condensed milk for added taste and a more creamy texture.Since Christmas season is just around the corner, this would make a very good holiday dessert especially during potluck Christmas Parties and Noche Buena as well.
Preparing maja blanca is easy. All you need to do is follow each step indicated in this maja blanca recipe. It is important that you give the coconut milk sometime to cook; it is also recommended that you try your best to mix all the ingredients until the texture becomes as smooth at it can be. For better results, cook the corn a little longer to release its flavor.
I made this maja blanca while my wife is shopping online for bags at Nordstrom. I can’t believe that I was done with this and another dessert when she finally finished her online shopping. she was happy though, and that is all that matters.
- 4 cups coconut milk
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- ¾ cup fresh milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 15 ounces whole sweet kernel corn
- 5 tbsp toasted grated coconut
- Pour the coconut milk in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, condensed milk, and whole sweet kernel corn then stir until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Simmer for 8 minutes
- Combine the fresh milk and cornstarch then whisk until the cornstarch is diluted
- Pour the fresh milk and cornstarch mixture in the cooking pot and stir thoroughly.
- Allow to cook while stirring until the mixture reaches your desired thickness
- Pour the mixture in a serving tray then arrange and flatten the top using a flat tool such as a wooden spatula
- Allow to cool down then refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Garnish with toasted grated coconut (or latik if available)
- Serve cold. Share and enjoy!