- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 pcs raw eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Bake the cake
1.1 Combine flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl than whisk until everything is properly distributed
1.2 Beat the eggs using an electric mixer in a separate mixing bowl.
1.3 Add the granulated and light brown sugar then continue mixing until fully blended.
1.4 Add the vegetable oil, fresh milk, and vanilla extract then continue mixing until texture becomes smooth.
1.5 Put-in the flour-baking soda-cinnamon-baking powder-salt mixture then continue mixing using low speed.
1.6 Fold-in the carrots and walnuts
1.7 Pour the batter on a cake pan with shaped wax paper
1.8 Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the batter for 35 to 50 minutes (you know that the cake is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean)
1.9 Remove from the oven and allow to cool down.
2. Make the frosting
2.1 Beat the cream cheese using an electric mixer
2.2 Add-in the butter and vanilla extract then continue mixing until the mixture is well blended
2.3 Add the confectioners sugar then mix until texture becomes smooth
2.4 Set aside
3. Apply the frosting over the cake
3.1 Place the first cake on a flat surface and apply frosting on the top part spreading it evenly
3.2 Place the second cake on top of the first cake and align properly
3.3 Apply the remaining frosting on top and on the sides of the cake
3.4 Garnish with chopped wallnuts on top and on the sides
3.5 Refrigerate for at least an hour then serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 8
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash the bananas. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Mix using a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, butter, egg, vanilla extract, and granulated white sugar. Mix well.
- Fold-in the dry ingredient mixture in the large mixing bowl. continue this step until
the texture becomes smooth.
- Arrange regular sized paper cups in the muffin pan. Scoop the mixture in each paper cup. Do not fill the cup as it will overflow.
- Bake in the oven for 13 to 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool by placing in a wire rack.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 8
Baked Macaroni is a pasta dish that makes use of elbow macaroni as the primary ingredient. At first look, this could be mistaken as the famous Macaroni and Cheese but there is more to this dish than just having pasta and cheese.
Meat is one of its most important components. Ground beef is usually used but others prefer ground pork, ground chicken, and even minced ham. Being a tomato based pasta, Baked Macaroni uses diced tomatoes (or tomato sauce) and tomato paste as well. Capsicum (or bell pepper) and paprika are optionally added to add more flavor and aroma.
The description above makes a regular Baked Macaroni but adding the Mornay sauce (or white sauce as we usually call it) makes it more special. This is a cheese and milk sauce made by combining a roux with milk and adding parmesan and gruyere cheese (or sharp cheddar if gruyere is not available). Then you’ll have rich and creamy pasta ready for baking.
- 1 lb uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 ½ cup diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 small onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 piece beef cube
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare the elbow macaroni according to instructions in the package and intentionally cut the cooking time so that the macaroni is not well done (the macaroni will be fully cooked once baked) then drain and set aside.
- Prepare the meat sauce by heating a cooking pot and melt-in the butter.
- When the butter is hot enough, add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until the color turns medium brown.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, and diced tomatoes then stir and simmer for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomato paste and paprika then stir and cook for a minute
- Add the beef cube and water then stir until everything is well distributed. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put-in the sugar, salt, and pepper then mix well. Turn of the heat and set aside.
- Prepare the Mornay sauce by melting the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the flour stir constantly for about a minute (color must be yellowish and not brown).
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cheeses and whisk until melted. Set aside
- Combine the cooked macaroni and meat sauce in a baking dish then toss until the meat sauce is well distributed.
- Arrange the macaroni and pour the Mornay sauce over it. (Spread the Mornay sauce over the macaroni and meat sauce mixture ensuring that every space is covered)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down a bit.
Maja Blanca is a Filipino dessert made from coconut milk, cornstarch, and sugar. Often called Coconut Pudding, this luscious dessert is easy to make and the ingredients are very common.Unknown to many, the original Maja Blanca Recipe does not include corn and milk. In this recipe, I added whole sweet kernel corn and condensed milk for added taste and a more creamy texture.Since Christmas season is just around the corner, this would make a very good holiday dessert especially during potluck Christmas Parties and Noche Buena as well.
Preparing maja blanca is easy. All you need to do is follow each step indicated in this maja blanca recipe. It is important that you give the coconut milk sometime to cook; it is also recommended that you try your best to mix all the ingredients until the texture becomes as smooth at it can be. For better results, cook the corn a little longer to release its flavor.
I made this maja blanca while my wife is shopping online for bags at Nordstrom. I can’t believe that I was done with this and another dessert when she finally finished her online shopping. she was happy though, and that is all that matters.
- 4 cups coconut milk
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- ¾ cup fresh milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 15 ounces whole sweet kernel corn
- 5 tbsp toasted grated coconut
- Pour the coconut milk in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, condensed milk, and whole sweet kernel corn then stir until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Simmer for 8 minutes
- Combine the fresh milk and cornstarch then whisk until the cornstarch is diluted
- Pour the fresh milk and cornstarch mixture in the cooking pot and stir thoroughly.
- Allow to cook while stirring until the mixture reaches your desired thickness
- Pour the mixture in a serving tray then arrange and flatten the top using a flat tool such as a wooden spatula
- Allow to cool down then refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Garnish with toasted grated coconut (or latik if available)
- Serve cold. Share and enjoy!