Leche Flan (also known as crème caramel and caramel custard) is a dessert made-up of eggs and milk with a soft caramel on top. This dessert is known throughout the world (especially in Europe) and has been in the dessert menu of most restaurants because of its convenience in preparation and long shelf life.
- 10 pieces raw eggs
- 1 small can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
- Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater
- Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly
- Pour-in the fresh milk and mix well
- Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire
- Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. Note: Sometimes it is hard to find a Llanera (Traditional flan mold) depending on your location. I find it more convenient to use individual Round Pans in making leche flan.
- Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold
- Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold
- Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil
- Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
- After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate
Turon or deep-fried banana rolls is a typical Filipino meryenda and dessert. This can usually be seen on the streets being peddled along with banana-que. In Makati, several jolly jeeps (stalls along the road; formerly jeepneys that serve lunch) sell Turon along with other meryenda during the afternoon. This delicious and healthy dessert is an all time Filipino favorite. Have I mentioned that Turon is so affordable and also easy-to-prepare?
- 6 pcs saba bananas (or plantains), cut in half (lenghtwise)
- 1 cup ripe Jackfruit
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 pcs spring roll wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Roll the banana on the brown sugar plate and ensure that the banana is coated with enough sugar
- Place the banana with sugar coating in the spring roll wrapper and add some ripe jackfruit
- Fold and lock the spring roll wrapper, use water to seal the edge
- In a pan, heat the oil and put-in some brown sugar.Wait until the brown sugar floats
- Put-in the wrapped banana and fry until the wrapper turns golden brown and the extra sugar sticks on wrapper
- Serve hot during dessert or meryenda. Share and Enjoy!