Cilantro Lime Chicken
4 pieces boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, combine cilantro, lime juice, olive oil garlic, salt, and ground black pepper.
2. Put-in the chicken breasts and coat with the mixture. Marinate for at least 3 hours. Note: It will be better to marinate the chicken overnight. This can be done by covering the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate.
3. Grill the chicken breasts for about 6 to 8 minutes per side or until each side is done. Do not grill for too long as the juices may dry-out.
4. Transfer to a serving plate then serve.
Chicken Inasal is a grilled chicken dish and one of the well known Ilonggo dishes. This is done by marinating chicken pieces in a unique blend of spices and grilling them until done. Sounds like a simple grilled chicken recipe, isn’t it? Well, it might sound like one; however, the special marinade and basting sauce makes this Ilonggo version of the grilled chicken extra special. Who amongst you in the Philippines haven’t heard of this dish? I will be surprised if a huge number of people will say that they haven’t. Chicken Inasal is all over the place. In fact, several restaurant chains that specialize in this dish are in full swing branching-out to dominate its presence in Metro Manila and the nearby provinces. Chicken Inasal and all you can eat rice, doesn’t this sound familiar? I’ve been to several restaurants and grills serving this special grilled chicken dish and they were all good. The main question is: Who serves the best Chicken Inasal in the Philippines? In Metro Manila, there is a good place somewhere in New Manila, Quezon City that is owned by a famous actor. The Chicken Inasal served by the newly emerging brand is not bad too. There should also be many good restaurants and grills in Iloilo and Bacolod where this dish originated.
If you want your chicken less burnt, try removing the skin before grilling. This will also make this dish a bit lower in cholesterol.
- 2 lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup lemongrass, chopped
- 1 cup coconut vinegar
- 1/2 cup lemon or calamansi juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup lemon soda (softdrink)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Basting Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons annatto oil (atsuete oil)
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon or calamansi juice
- In a freezer bag or large bowl, combine chicken, lemongrass, salt, ground black pepper, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, lemon-lime soda, and lemon juice.
- Stir or shake the mixture until every ingredient is well incorporated. Marinade for 1 to 3 hours.
- In a bowl, combine margarine, annatto oil, salt, and lemon juice then stir. Set aside.
- Grill the chicken while basting generous amount of the margarine mixture.
- Transfer the grilled chicken to a serving plate.
- Serve with sinamak. Share and enjoy!