Adobong Balut or Boiled Fertilized Duck Egg Adobo is an exotic Filipino dish. Balut is commonly sold along the street, usually during nighttime and served as finger food or pulutan. Some said that duck egg is considered as aphrodisiac and help to increase the stamina. Normally the boiled balut cooked in a blend of soy sauce and vinegar, season with sugar, salt and pepper. This dish is similar to other adobo dish.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 15-20 minutes
12 pieces balut(boiled fertilized duck egg)
1/2 head garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
3 bay leaves(laurel)
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon peppercorns
salt and sugar to taste
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes(optional)
1. Remove balut shells then set aside. Reserve the broth.
1. In a pan, heat oil then saute ginger, garlic and onion.
2. Add balut and stir fry to a minute.
3. Add soy sauce, balut broth, water, bay leaf and peppercorns then bring to boil.
4. Add vinegar and simmer for a few minutes. Add water if necessary.
5. Add chili flakes, salt and sugar according to taste then simmer for a minute.
6. Transfer to serving plate then serve with steamed rice. Enjoy:)