- 3 lbs. beef shank
Ingredients for boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 yellow onion, wedged
Ingredients for sauteeing
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 to 5 pieces star anise
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cups garlic fried rice.
- Pour water into a pressure cooker. Let boil,
- Add wedged onion, ground black pepper, and salt.
- Put the beef shank in the pressure cooker. Cover and pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the beef shank. Set the beef stock aside.
- In a clean pot, heat oil.
- Saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add the boiled beef shank. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour soy sauce and 1¾ cups of beef stock (water used to boil beef) into the pot. Let boil. Cover and then cook in medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Add star anise. Cook for 12 minutes. Remove the star anise from the pot.
- Add brown sugar. Stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with garlic fried rice and beef stock (soup).