- 1 1/2 lbs pig’s lungs, boiled in lemon grass and pandan leaves until tender and minced
- 1 lb pig’s heart, boiled in lemon grass and pandan leaves until tender and minced
- 1/2 cup annatto seeds diluted in 1 cup of water
- 1 small carrot, minced (optional)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bird’s eye chili, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a frying pan or wok and pour-in cooking oil.
- Sauté ginger, garlic, and onion.
- Add the bird’s eye chili and cook for 30 seconds.
- Put-in the minced pig’s lungs and heart then cook for 3 to 5 minutes while stirring once in a while.
- Pour in annatto water (water from the diluted annatto seeds) and stir.
- Add the dried bay leaves and pour-in 1 cup of water. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until almost all the liquid evaporates.
- Put-in the minced carrots and stir. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt, and ground black pepper then stir.
- Pour-in the vinegar and cook for 8 to 10 minutes more under medium heat.
- Turn-off heat and transfer to a serving plate.