- 4 to 5 lbs. pig’s leg, cleaned
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Sherry cooking wine
- 4 pieces star anise
- 4 cups water
- 5 to 8 pieces dry Shitake mushroom, soaked in 1 cup water (for 3 hours)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 1/2 beef cube
- A bunch of bok choy, bottom end chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the pig leg in a baking pan. Rub salt and cooking oil all over the pig leg. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Put the baking pan with the leg inside the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the leg from the oven. Let it cool down.
- Place the leg in a pressure cooker. Pour-in 4 cups water and add the whole peppercorn. Cover and pressure cook for 40 to 45 minutes. Note: if you are using a smaller sized leg, you can reduce the time to 35 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released, remove the cover. Continue to cook by placing the pressure cooker on a stove top (or turning the mode to manual, in case you are using an electric pressure cooker). Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, Sherry, and sesame oil. Let it boil. Cook for 15 minutes without cover.
- Add the beef cube, star anise, and shitake mushrooms. Stir and cook in medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Pour-in the cornstarch diluted in water. Stir. Continue to cook until the sauce reaches your preferred thickness.
- Add the bok choy. Stir and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. You can add more salt and pepper if you want.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.