- 2 lbs. chicken wings, separated at joints
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1¼ tablespoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup spicy banana ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry cooking wine or mirin
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch diluted 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cups canola oil
- Rub salt and ground black pepper all over the chicken wings. Let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Dredge the chicken wings in cornstarch. Deep fry for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the texture becomes crisp. Place the chicken in a plate lined with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by heating a wok or wide pan.
- Pour-in water, honey, ketchup, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, cooking wine. Stir to mix well. Let boil.
- Add the soy sauce and cornstarch mixture. Stir.
- Once the mixture becomes thick, add the fried chicken wings. Toss until the wings are coated.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
- Transfer to a serving plate.