Chicken Carbonara is a rich and delicious pasta dish that I always enjoy with a glass of wine. This dish makes use of spaghetti noodles; the two meat ingredients responsible its wonderful taste are pancetta and baked chicken breasts.
There are many ways to make chicken carbonara, just like any pasta dish. Some recipes will use bacon, there are others that recommend Canadian bacon, and there are handfuls that suggest pancetta. You will see that this recipe asks for pancetta, although we have published carbonara recipes that makes use of bacon.
Pancetta is not so different with bacon because it is also bacon – Italian bacon that is. It is made from the same ingredient – pork belly. I am using rolled pancetta or “arrotolata” for this recipe.
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- ¼ lb. pancetta, chopped
- ½ lb. shredded baked chicken breast
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolk, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, basil, and parsley. Whisk and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wide cooking pot or casserole.
- Add-in the pancetta. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the garlic and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add-in the shredded baked chicken. Stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in the cooked spaghetti noodles. Toss.
- Adjust the heat to low and add the heavy cream and egg mixture. Toss until all the ingredients are well distributed.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with some grated lemon peel on top.